Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Dirt on the mirror of a Canon EX EE Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Dirt on the mirror of a Canon EX EE « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Briggs

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 03:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have recently been given a Canon EX EE which appears to be working fine. However there appears to be dirt on either the mirror or the bottom of the penta prism. Does anyone have any Idea how I get in to clean these items

Ed

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 06:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gently--try blowing olow pressure air--air cans can be bad as they ocassionally spit liquid. If the bottom of the prism is dirty and air doesn't do it, try a Qtip with a little iso. alcohol. Check to make sure the source of the dirt is not an old shock pad.

Howard

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David,
I have an old Canon EX EE myself and they take great photos. I have never had to pull it apart but I think that while it's working Ok I would leave it alone. It shouldn't effect the photos. To clean it, because the lens is fixed, you would probably have to peel back the leatherette and remove the complete lens block. I don't know that removing the top plate would give you the access you need and it might be a bigger job than the lens block. Sadly there doesn't seem to be much information around on these cameras.
Good Luck
Howard

Aaron

Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have experienc with the EX Auto which I believe is identical to the EX EE. To reach the prism the top cover has to be removed. First remove the winding lever: remove the top screw with two holes (RH), then loosen two screws in the retaining disc below (RH), then remove the retaining disc (LH). Remove the remaining component and note their position.
Next remove the shutter dial: remove the cente retaining screw with two holes (RH) and lift off dial. Third remove the film rewind knob: open the camera back, put a stick in the fork to stop it from turning and turn rewind knob counterclockwise to remove. Last remove two screws at back, 1 screw near the winding lever and 1 screw in front below the pentaprism. Carefully lift off top. No wires below.
The prism is held by two springs. Just carefully remove them and take out the prism and clean with Q-tip and alcohol. Clean the eye piece as well at this moment. Also see if the condenser lense below the prism needs cleaning. After cleaning put everything back in reverse order. Take care not to lose the springs for the can jump across the room when you stretch them.

David

Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 02:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Guys for the information. If the pictures are affected I shall try Aarons instructions.

David

John Farrell

Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 03:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a Canon EX Auto on the work table at the moment. It's in rather a sad state - pitted chrome and sand everywhere. I hope to get it working, though it may not look very pretty. Mention was made above of removing the lens. This is straightforward once the top and bottom covers are off. Remove the 2 screws under the lens mount, and take off the lens mount side panels, and the black bar across the top. This uncovers 4 screws which secure the lens plate. Before you undo these, unsolder the black red and green wires which run from the lens to the small circuit board in the camera base (make a note of where they go). Remove the screws, and the lens comes off. Next instalment - removing the mirror box, so the shutter bearings can be cleaned and lubed.....

eddie jones

Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 04:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just bought a canon EXee in a car boot sale. Howeaver there is slight damage to the front of the lens at the filter thread---a slight dent.does anyone know if it's possible to still buy these lenses and if it is how much they are

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration