Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zenit 12 XP Shutter speed problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Zenit 12 XP Shutter speed problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Lilley

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello

I've a new XP and cannot change the shutter speeds using the dial. Also the B speed clearly does not work, as the mirror returns...

Thanks

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Michael. Please check to make sure the shutter speed knob is securely tightened to the shaft it turns. It sounds like maybe it isn't. There should be two (maybe three) screws on the edge of that speed selector knob...tighten them and then turn the knob until you determine which is the B setting. Then loosen those screws and rotate the knob until "B" lines up with the indicator mark. You should then be in business.

Jon

Michael Lilley

Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 05:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jon

Unfortunately, I am still having no joy - can you suggest anything else?

Thanks
Michael

Jon Goodman

Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, in that case, I would say something internal is not quite right with the speed selector. From your description, it sounds as if the camera is firing at one speed, no matter which shutter speed you select. Is this correct? I'm assuming you have opened the film door and observed the shutter in action at different speed selections. If this is the case, I think you will have to remove the top plate and look inside for the answer. Are you familiar with Tom Tiger's site? He has some very good instructions on how to get inside the Zenit camera. Let's look:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~tomtiger/

When you get there, please go to "camera articles and repair." Once you have the top removed, let's see why the camera is not changing speeds as you turn the selector.

Jon

Michael

Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 05:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks again Jon

Indeed the camera is firing at just one speed - I've looked at Tom Tiger's page and am trying to build the courage to take the camera apart, in the believe that I will not lose any of the miniscule screws and be able to get it all back together again!

Michael

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 07:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can do it. Especially on a Zenit. They are not difficult to work on, and actually can be fun. Here is a trick you can use so that you never forget nor lose parts nor assemble them in the wrong sequence. Really! On your work surface (or a piece of cardboard), mount a piece of common masking tape, sticky side facing up. As you remove a piece, stick it to the tape. Work right to left, left to right, up to down, down to up, whatever direction is most normal to you, and feel free to make notes on the cardboard, if needed...example: "Start here" or "this piece is reverse threaded" or "this is just a bug that wandered onto the tape...he doesn't need to go back into the camera." You can even use two pieces of tape...right side/left side of camera, if this makes sense to you. This is a watchmaker's trick, and it can also be used in the disassembly/assembly of almost anything small (including electronic circuits...great for those).

Jon

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration