Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XG-1 Wind lever jammed Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minolta XG-1 Wind lever jammed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave Ha

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 01:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The wind lever on my Minolta XG-1 is jammed, also the shutter will not release. I have fitted new batteries. I tried releasing the wind lever by turning the screw on the underside of the camera but this just released all tension from the wind lever.Any advice would be very welcome.

Steve

Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Dave. This problem can be caused by a number of things. If you set the shutter dial on "A", do you get a light reading, does the meter light up?

Dave Ha

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 03:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes when touching the shutter i get a reading.
Thanks for your reply Steve.

Tim

Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave,

I have a Minolta XG-M with a similar problem. The wind lever will only go to about half way, and the shutter won't fire. the wind lever does not turn the spindle that the film winds on to. Also I don,t get a light reading with the shutter set to "A".

Did you have any luck in fixing yours? Any ideas where I should start with this problem?

Dave Ha

Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 08:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Tim. as yet i have no fix for the problem.

steve

Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the XG-1, check the shutters to see if they closed all the way. Sometimes when a battery gets weak the shutters may not complete the travel when released causing the winder to lock. If you see the vertical metal bars that separate the shutters, gently force them the rest of the way over so you can not see them any more. This usually resets everything and gets the camera working again. The XG-1 also has problems with the electrical contacts under the shutter speed dial and aperture ring. Try rotating the shutter speed dial clockwise around several times and flipping the aperture several times to clean the contacts. The XG-M usually suffers from bad capacitors that lock up the shutters. The XG-m actually has 3 different caps that go bad. The main one that controls the shutters in just under the bottom plate. Both cameras have a film advance lock under the bottom plate. It's a small lever against the back of the body that you can f

Garry

Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Typical problem for this camera. Advance shaft is unable to properly charge and release shutter gears due to lack of lubrication within shutter mechanism. We specialize in service and repair of 35mm SLR cameras and are certainly familiar with this particular problem. Our estimate for this particular model is $53.00. For more information visit our web site at www.garryscamera.com.

Garry,
www.garryscamera.com
[email protected]

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration