Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet QL17 Lens Front Element Repla... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canonet QL17 Lens Front Element Replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Ullery

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone please tell me how to replace the flawed front element of the 40mm 1.7 lens on my otherwise perfect Black Canonet New QL17.
Thanks for your help.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Paul,

To get into the GIII QL17 from the front is not easy.

There is a thin slotted ring between the fiter mount and the black lens plate - that is what will have to be removed first. These rings are very (and I mean VERY) difficult to remove. You will need a very good slotted spanner and try to carefully unscrew it, without damaging the name plate.

Once the slotted ring is removed the rest is easy, if you have a source for the replacement front element....

Also - under 'Repair Manuals' on the Home Paghe of this site is a link to a repair manual for this camera.

Good luck,

Jan

Ray Youngblood

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the real trick is to remove this soft aluminum ring without mutilating it in the process. You can improve your chances by first dribbling a very little light lubricant on the filter threads and then, after you've gotten it moving, using something like a wooden toothpick to unscrew it. Your next challenge, after lifting off the name ring with the embedded cds cell, is to unscrew the black slotted ring that secures the front element. This is also an easily damaged aluminum part. In your case luck is with you if just that ring and not the whole front lens module comes out. Usually the object of this process is to expose the shutter blades for cleaning so you hope that the entire front lens group unscrews. In my experience it usually doesn't but if I didn't want it to, it would.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration