Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon 1000F with sticky shutter curtain Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canon 1000F with sticky shutter curtain « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Palle Paulsen

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a greasy stof on the curtain. I have cleaned it once with alcohol but the grease is comming back.
Does anyone know what it is? Do I need to replace the curtains? Does anyone have a repairmanual for the 1000F?

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Palle,

May I quote from the Home Page of this site:

The Classic Camera Repair Forum is a get together for people who enjoy tinkering with old cameras. Cameras from the 1970's and earlier, like the classic 30's thru 50's Retina style folders, 60's viewfinders and rangefinders and up to the great 70's SLR's.

Your Canon 1000F (Canon Rebel in the US) is hardly a classic camera, with nothing mechanical, just full of electronics. How did you determine that what you have on the shutter curtain is oil? If it is, and it is coming back after you cleaned it off the curtains, there must be an area in the camera that is overlubricated and the lubricant is probably seeping onto the curtains.

Did you just buy the camera? Have you owned it for a while and the 'oil' just started appearing by itself? How much of the stuff is on the curtains?

To diagnose something like this is very difficult over the internet... The oil by itself will probably not harm the shutter curtains, but it should not be there. I don't think anybody will have a repair manual for this camera, even if you could obtain one, you will have to be very good with miniature electronics...

Good luck,

Jan

Palle Paulsen

Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jan
You are right. My 1000F is an early 1990'th camera, but the shutter curtains I belive is mechanical.
I have had the camera for some years, and the sticky stof suddently came all by itself. But it got worse after our holiday i Mexico. Not even half the pictures we toke could be developed. In Mexico the camera was exposed to high temperatures directly in the sun, so that is why it got worse.
I will continue my search for a discussion room where my 1000F is included.
Thank you for your answere.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Palle,

Mexico and high heat are the answer. Never leave any camera exposed to high temperatures, it is not only not good for the camera, but also not for the film.

Now, that you are back to colder climate, the oil seepage will probably stop.

And yes - the shutter curtains might be mechanical, in the sense that you can touch them and feel them..... But what runs them are nothing but electronics.

Jan

Palle

Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jan
Finally I found what I was looking for. Have a look on http://photonotes.org/articles/oily-shutter/ . That is exacly what has happened to my camera.
Thank you for your patience

Aziz

Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 07:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ive had the exact same problem with my Canon 1000f. And my problem also occured in a hot climate, when i took my camera to india--greasy oil on the shutter blades, just like you. I had to get the blades replaced because they were stuck together and the blades seperated sometimes but not always--about one third of my roll was not exposed. In regards to the earlier response saying that you should never expose your camera to high temperature, i would like to add that high temperatures are often completely unavoidable in underdeveloped countries like mexico and india--your camera, sitting in your room, in the shade, with a desicant packet to remove moisture, will still be exposed to high heat. I reckon that the leaking oil problem is common with this camera model in hot climes.

One solution is to use a toothpick or other device to carefully remove the gooey stuff from the blades, but most people would tell you that this is silly because youre likely to damage the delicate blades. But if youre going to have to get them replaced anyways, why not give it a try? (Although you could half repair the problem, only to have it come back at a bad time, like when youre in a remote place or shooting something important).

Glad to hear other people have had the same issue--hope mine is not recurring!

Aziz

Simon

Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The gunge is the remains of the rubber curtain bumper, which perishes with age, the only way to fix this problem is to dimantle the camera and clean shutter unit and replace bumper.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration