Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35RD Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Olympus 35RD « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Frangos

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a problem with my 35RD and wonder whether you have any suggestions: when in 'Auto' and with a fresh battery in, the light meter does not react. The needle simply travels all the way past f/1.7 and in the red. That would normally mean loose connection/no current, or not? I have checked the battery compartment, took it up and cleaned the contact underneath it but that has not helped. Also the wire looked fine, almost like new. The strangest thing, though, is that the shutter can be released!

I am at a loss to see what is wrong here. Can anyone help?

regards
Michael

Reiner

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Micheal,

with an ohmmeter you should check if the resistance between the battery contactc reacts on different light in auto mode. If not you could screw off the name plate ring of the lens and you will find the solder points of the CDS cell at the back side. Check the connection between the solder points and the battery contacts. Check also wether the CDS cell reacts on changing light.

The failing exposure lock is propably due to an independant mechanical problem. I know this issue from some RDs. The meter and the clamping mechanism of the aparture automatic is under the BOTTOM PLATE, different to other cameras. There is also some mechanics to realize the over/under exposure lock. If this part becomes sticky it will fail. In case of over exposure it fails in a way that the aparture is fully opened and then the shutter will is fired - very anoying! The issue may be cured with some drops of lighter fluid. But I would consider this as a secondary problem compared to the non working meter.

Michael Frangos

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Reiner

Will try. If necessary, I have another 35RD which will be sacrificed for parts.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration