Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lens cleaning question Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Lens cleaning question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jani Heikkinen

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember having read somewhere about a lens cleaner which you put on the lens and after a while you can peel it off with the dirt. What is this stuff called? Can it be ordered from internet and where?

Jani

Peter Wallage

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 06:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jani,
I can't remember what the stuff's called but I tried it when it first came out. Despite good reviews in the photo press I didn't like it. I found it didn't always peel off the lens cleanly and I had to resort to glass cleaner. Maybe just my experience, others may have found diferently.

Peter

Mark Wood

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 04:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jani

In the UK, it's marketed (in ca. 3 ml bottles) as a product called "Opti-Clean" by a company called Caliope. Having used it for a while, the solution I've found to the (rather annoying!) problem Peter mentions is to let the polymer cure for much longer then the recommended 3-5 minutes (I now leave it for at least 10-15 minutes). The instructions actually now state that you can leave it to cure for any length of time. When you pull the cured polymer away, make sure that the self-adhesive tab is well stuck down over as much of the surface as possible and try to remove it with one sharp pull from the edge of the glass. Also, make sure that it doesn't flow right to the edge of the glass and around the retaining rings - that's when it becomes very difficult (to say the least) to remove.

Mark

Jani Heikkinen

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 05:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you know any place in the internet where it can be bought? And delivered inside EU countries?

Mark Wood

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 06:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two possibilities are "Speedgraphic" at:

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk

or Jessops at:

http://www.jessops.co.uk

I think both will deliver outside the UK.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration