Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing damaged filter from lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Removing damaged filter from lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Orgill

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I dropped my Canon AE program and dented and broke the UV filter. The lens is undamaged, but the filter ring is dented and will not screw off the lens. I need a method to remove this filter.

Ed

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First- try taking a piece of hardwood and make a rod 1/4x1/2 and 4" long (approx. dim) and use as a punch to tap out the dent in the filter rim. If necessary carefully break out the glass from filter. After straightening best possible try and unscrew filter, using a rubber grip may help. If this doesn't work, the next step would be to use a small file, Dremel, or whatever to make a cut thru the rim stopping short of the lens edge. Thru all of this, the utmost is to be careful of lens glass. After cutting thru, you can use a pair of pliers and grasp the edge of the filter rim near the cut and twist--this should break the rest of filter rim and allow it come. Good luck.

Manuel

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I removed a damaged stuck filter by using a small saw and cutting two grooves 180 degs.opposite each other then using a metal straight edge or similar to unscrew it.

Marco

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd suggest that, before attempting any of the radical metalworking solutions proposed, you eliminate all filter glass and then insert cloth and cardboard discs to protect your lens. Brass filings can be very abrasive and damage the lens coating.

Mike Orgill

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Gentlemen, for your responses. I will give this a shot, making sure to protect the lens glass. Amazingly through all this, the lens is totally unscratched and the camera works flawlessly.

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had this happen once or twice. On one occasion at least, I cleared the broken filter glass out of the way and gripped one edge of the filter rim with a small Vise-Grip plier. Then, a counterclockwise twist of the plier bent the filter rim into a sort of heart shape which was then no longer engaged in the lens threads and could be lifted out. There was no damage to the lens, either in the impact or as a result of removing the filter ring.

rick :)=

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration