Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta AL, winding problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minolta AL, winding problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a nice Minolta AL that has a confounding winding problem. Please advise if you've seen this problem before.

I've got the whole lens assembly and the bottom cover off of the camera. There's a geared wheel under the bottom cover (not directly under the axel of the wind-on lever) that has two pins 180 degrees apart. It looks like this is meant to rotate exactly 180 degrees each time the film is wound one frame. On mine it seems to be rotating a bit more than 180 degrees each time, which puts the whole "cycle" out of sync somehow.

These two pins on the rotating geared wheel are what cock the shutter, with a kind of cam motion. The spring-loaded plate that actually cocks the shutter slides back and forth laterally, "riding" on these pins. There are also two holes in this geared wheel, to allow the downward travel of the shutter release.

The problem is that after winding with the winding (wind-on) lever, that geared wheel comes to rest at a position that does not allow the full downward travel of the shutter release (and also does not allow for the full cocking of the shutter). Or, more correctly, it DOES reach such a position, but only every 9 (or was is 11?) strokes of the wind-and-release cycle. I can turn this geared wheel by hand to a different position, but still it remains out of sync; rotating too many degrees with each wind-on crank of the lever

Any tips on how to re-set this gearing?

thanks! --scott

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration