Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica Auto S2 CdS cell testing Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Konica Auto S2 CdS cell testing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Dvorak

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two Konica Auto S2's and am wondering if there is a way to test their CdS cells. I did check for continuity from the battery to the cell and replaced / re-soldered some wires due to corrosion. The meter is still dead, but the battery check tests OK. I know that the meter and the test circuits are separate from each other and wonder if the CdS cell might be dead.

I know that the meter on one camera is dead (the galvanometer is kaputt and beyond repair), but want to check if it's CdS cell is OK, so that I could use it as to fix my first S2 - if all this makes sense.....

Many thanks,

Jan

Tom

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jan,
The Auto S-2 is my favorite camera, despite the fact I also use a Rollieflex and a Nikon F3HP. I have 3 of them now. The problem you describe is a classic symptom of these cameras, and I fact I try to find them like this as they are cheaper. The problem is not the cell. The problem is poor contact thru the battery check switch on bottom of camera. Battery test will work, but meter won't. Just remove bottom plate, and remove switch to clean contacts an reinstall.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,

Thanks for your input, I have done that. New wire, clean contacts - the lot. The meter still does not work. That is why I am trying to find a way to check the cell.

Thanks,

Jan

M. Currie

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 09:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since a CdS cell is basically a resistor that changes with exposure to light, you ought to be able to put an ohmmeter to it and see if it varies with light. That won't tell you if it's still accurate or not, but at least you should find out if it's dead.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration