Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SRT 101 Questions Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minolta SRT 101 Questions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, i'm really realyl new to photography, and i recently [at a friends reccomendation] purchased a minolta srt 101, The shutter speed was off, so i took it in to have ti CLA'd, and i notice the following problems [which i'm not sure are actually problems]

1. The shutter, at speeds of 30 and below, makes a grating noise after the release is pressed, when i time the shutter at one second, i continusly get values of approx 1.3 seconds

2. When the lens is removed, theres a gray piece of plastic hanging about 1/3 of the way down, it appears to be spring loaded, and has foam on the end. Someone told me that the reason the shutter makes the noise is that the mirror mechanism is pushing and holding up the piece of plastic, and straining the mechanism, but i tried taping it up [at their suggestion] and it still made the grating noise

3. When the DOF is on [aperature fully open] the light metering system seems to work, but when the DOF is off [aperature adjustable] the light meter stays at the top of the screen, and does not respond] I'm using a 1.5 volt alkaline replacement [told that wein cells dont' make good contact]

Also, the light meter is supposed to rise to the top for low light, and the bottom for dimmer light, correct?

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike:

1) Mechanical shutters make noise when on long speeds - it is the clockwork that you are probably hearing. Specially at 1/8s and 1/15s you will hear the escapement mechanism ticking for a split second after the shutter has closed.

2) That is probably the miror damping foam which detached itself. Who did your CLA??

3) On an SRT 101 the meter will not work correctly when you close the aperture down. The lens has to be used wide open, it will close down to the proper aperture when the picture is taken (assuming your auto aperture mechanism works correctly). The 1.5V cell will probably be OK for colour negative and b/w film, as they will take a fair amount of over/under exposure. Wein cells DO make as good a contact as any other battery....

Jan

Mike

Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 04:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, thank you, I wasn't sure, [see, the shutter curtain pulls back, then you get the grinding noise [sounds exactly like the self timer] and then it closes [you also get the noise when advancing the film on the slower speeds, and when selecting the slower speeds you get a whirring noise] Although at times, it still seems like its a bit longer than one second

I took it to Cord Camera [i don't know any other stores in the mid-ohio area] And i thought that the foam was just near the top where the mirror snapped shut, this is almost like a plastic wall that fell half way down

Thanks again

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 06:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That wall thing that slides up and down is a normal part of the SRT101, it's just the way they designed that camera. I suppose they felt it provided a little better damping and light seal than just putting foam in front of the screen like other cameras, but I doubt it makes much difference. I thought it was made of metal though.

From your description I'm not sure you have anything abnormal going on (other than maybe the meter thing); 1.3 seconds at the 1 second setting is not unusual and would not generally be considered out of spec, amounting only to about a third of a stop of error. The noise you hear is just the clockwork escapement of the shutter timing mechanism (based on your description that it sounds like the self timer, which is a similar clockwork device). When you hear the same sound on winding, it's the gears resetting themselves for the next shot.

rick :)=

Mike

Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh?...then [not supprisingly] that guy at cord camera was a bit misinformed [he told me that the camera would eventually fail because the motor was haivng to hold up that wall] lol...Thanks alot

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,

To say that the guy at Cord Camera "was a bit misinformed" is an understatement. In fact - he knows diddly squat about mechanical cameras!

Jan

Mike

Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lol, apparantly

K.S

Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All:

I am fond of using classic manual cameras.

I recently got a 30 year old Minolta SRT 101 as a gift from my boss.

I found that the battery was worn out; therefore I replaced PX-13 with an Alkaline PX625 (durracell, 1.5 v). I knew that it is not an exact match for 1.35 v PX-13. However, this is the best alternative I got in the regular market for cheap price ($2.5).

When I tried to see "Battery Check, BC" or turned the expore meter battery to "ON" position, I do not see the expoture-meter needle moving!! (the one with pointing end). I guess the needle is "stuck"? How can I repair or "fix" this problem? Kindly reply with your inputs.

I really appreciae your help. Thank you!

bob arden

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an srt101- when you release the shutter the mirror stays up on the slow speeds and may be erratic as to whether the shutter curtain closes all the way - it seems to work perfectly on speeds above 250 - but below it works sometimes, sometimes not. My theory was that it sat for a long time and that working the shutter might help. I am in the process of doing that. Whoever owned it befor me may never have used it considering the condition.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration