Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Edixa lenses?? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Edixa lenses?? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tim

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I don't know anything about this lenses:
a friend gave me a pair of edixa in M42 mount, one is an Edixa-Xenar 1:2.8/50 Schneider K.
The other is an Edixa Westromat 1:3.5/135 isco-gottingen.

Could someone tell me if they are quite good or not? (I know what is Xenar, I have one on my rolleicord, but...)
and what camera are they for?
Are they good enough to buy a camera body?
The only SLR I have is an Exakta Varex and I was looking for a ring to adapt the lenses mount but I don't find anything...

Thanks
Tim

Curt Saxton

Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tim,
If you already have a Xenar on your Rollie, you pretty much already know that this is an excellent lens (for it's time). As to the Isco-gottingen 135, I'm not a huge fan. I find them average but still not a bad lens. What camera they are from is also straight forward, the 50/2.8 Schneider came on the Wirgin Edixa Edixa-Mat D and DL, and the Isco 135 is from the same period, possibly ordered as an accessory lens with the D or DL.
Which camera they work with is also easy: any camera using M42 screw mount lenses ie, Yashica Electro SLR, Zenit SLR, Chinon (early), Pentax Spotmatic series, Fujica (early), Praktica SLR's, some Cosinas, etc. In other words, many early cameras used the M42 mount so you should have no problem finding a functional and reasonably priced camera to use these lenses.
Finding the adapter to use M42 lenses on Exakta shouldn't be too hard as I see them occasionally on E**Y, but keep in mind a Topcon adapter to use M42 on early Topcon cameras will also work on your Varex as Topcon (at least on the Super D and a few others) and Exakta share the same mount. I even own a Tamron mount to use Tamron lenses on Topcon/Exakta bodies (I use an Exa and a Firstflex which also uses Exakta lenses) so the possibilities are endless, just a matter of searching a bit. Hope this helps. Curt in Canada.

Tim Braun

Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 05:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
thanks for you help, now I'm fixed.
I already have a Tessar 50 on my exakta, so the Xenar may not be so usefull and if you say the 135 is not a good one, I will look for the topcon ring only if it's quite cheap, otherway...
But I'll look for a slr body at the next "photo fair".
Past week, I bought (at this Fair) some rangefinders: Canonet GIII, Yashica electro 35, Zorki 10 (so heavyweight!), and an agfa optima sensor. Great cameras for so small budget!
Next time will be for SLR!

Thanks a lot.

Tim (France)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration