Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Trying to learn camera repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Trying to learn camera repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Shel Sherman

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 06:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am trying to teach myself to repair old cameras and have started on several old Retina's.I have no problem disassembling them but reassembly is another matter.It almost seems that some special tools or fixtures are needed to put these cameras back together. Have I made a poor choice of camera to learn on and if so what would be a better starting camera? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Shel Sherman

Ed

Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what model Retinas? If they are of the Reflex model, you definitely made a bad choice.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I second what Ed said. I haven't found them easy to work on at all, but persistence and patience help. They have a challenging linkage setup, the meter is operated by a menacing cord and pulley mechanism, parts have to come from donor cameras, and good data is not cheap. Added to this, when you remove that bottom plate, you need to be ready for a couple of springs to pop out at you. You may need two cameras, so you can open the second one more carefully and see where those springs went. You're exactly right...they come apart easily, and go back together with pains. I think if I were just starting to get comfortable with SLR repair, I would pick a Zenit. It uses a Leica-style shutter, and there is plenty of decent repair info on the net. Plus, they are not expensive, so you have less at risk. If I were to start tinkering with a rangefinder, I'd look for an old FED or Zorki 4...maybe an Argus brick. Same reasoning, and pages like Rick Oleson's are excellently written and very helpful. Plus, any of those will take fine pictures, if working correctly. If you want to learn about leaf-shutter SLR repair, I'd start with Contaflex models I and II. They are not simple, but by no means as complex as the Retina Reflex, and a lens spanner is probably the most specialized tool you'll need, although you can make your own, if you want. There are instructions for that on this site. Good luck!

Jon

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if you pick something that i have sketches for, it'll save you a couple of bucks in manuals :)=

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-27.html

:)=

Shel Sherman

Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone. I will follow your suggestions.

Shel

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration