Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cleaning dust from film compartment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Cleaning dust from film compartment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew B

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I just perchased a K1000 off of eBay. The exterior is in pretty good shape, as is the lens, mirror, and focusing screen (little bit of dust but nothing to worry about in terms of photo quality). However, the film compartment itself is quite dusty, and will need to be cleaned before I can put any film in the camera.

Whats the best way to go about this? A professional CLA will cost as much as the camera did, and the shutter speed and action seem fine anyway.

Canned compressed air was one thought, but in my experience with cleaning the inside of computers it just moves dust around. Vacuum was my other idea, but I don't want to damage anything.

What about a Q-tip w/rubbing alcohol?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Frederick

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Andrew,

You are right about the compressed air, use as a last resort. However, the vacuum is a good idea, it always works for me. A strong vacuum with an attached brush does the trick every time for interior and exterior. Before you vacuum the interior, set the shutter to 'B' and keep the shutter button depressed. You can then thoroughly vacuum the interior.

You may also want to replace the seals and mirror cushion if they were no good.

To clean the exterior, dampened a peice of cloth with 'CLR" and water (50/50) and use it to wipe the camera. Be careful that the liquid does not run into the camera.

Frederick

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration