Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Slow Speed Dial of LTM Cameras Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Slow Speed Dial of LTM Cameras « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

cwc

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 02:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The slow speed dial in the front panel of my Shanghai 58-II gives normal shutter speeds at 1 and 1/2 sec settings. However at faster speed settings (such as 1/4s and faster) the shutter fires like 1/20 sec. Can this anomaly be corrected by adjusting the slow speed dial? I think this is a common problem among cameras with a slow speed dial in the front such as Leica thread mount cameras. Does anyone have experience in dealing with this? Thanks!

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 06:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In Leicas and most (all?) cameras of this type, the slow speed dial has a ramp on the back that presses rearward against a vertical shaft in the body to change the speed. I generally adjust this to obtain a good definition between the 2 fastest speeds (1/20 and 1/10, say). Once this is done, if the other speeds don't fall into line (they usually do), then the slow speed escapement needs to be cleaned or adjusted. The method for adjusting the slow speed dial varies between Leica models; I don't know how the Shanghai is put together.

:)=

cwc

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Rick. The Shanghai 58-II is a copy of Leica III. It is more like a Canon SII.

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 09:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a sketch for adjusting the IIIA slow speeds here:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-155.html

cwc

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick. The camera looks similar to the sketch. I'll try to adjust the slow speed tonight.

Tom Harrell

Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am having a problem with my Leica IIIf. The slow speeds just seemed to have stopped working. They were doing just fine and now all of a sudden, kaput! Does anyone have any ideas why that would have happened? Tom

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration