Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon DE-1 Replacement Prism Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Nikon DE-1 Replacement Prism « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Crist

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good fortune has partially smiled upon me in the gift of a chrome Nikon DE-1 finder. While it is externally mint, the pentaprism is suffering from silver delamination on one of the internal surfaces and some fungus growth making it more or less unusable. I have checked with Pete Smith, Camera Wiz, Southern Photo & Technical, Mark Hama, Peachtree Camera and a couple of others--none of whom have the replacement prism.
Seeking sources and advice on possible sources for the part, and where else to send it for repair.

Thanks in advance -- Mike

Sean OKeefe

Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have any separation? Removing existing glue, cleaning, and redoing the glue is not a garden variety repair. If there is no separation, getting the prism resilvered is probably less of a problem.

Resilvering the prism can be done but is not something often attempted, most people go through lengths to find a replacement first, which is much simpler for most items.

I provide a description of how I resilvered a prism from a Pen F a few months back using a procedure Paul Ron kindly provided. A resilvered prism will ever be as good as an original part, but in my case the prism was unusable due to corrosion.

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/674/2376.html?

As discussed in other messages here, there are professional mirror makers who would likely be able to provide a better mirror surface than can be done at home. I have no idea what the cost would be, but the prism would have to be carefully cleaned, non-mirrored surfaces would have to be blocked, the mirrored surfaces redone then painted to prevent oxidation.

Look at this link under "mirror coatings" for possible places to send your prism. You no doubt need to call and see if they have any experience, interest in your prism and if their services are economical.

http://www.stellafane.com/atm/atm_mirror_ref/atm_suppliers.htm

Sean

Mike Crist

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sean:

Thanks very much for your detailed reply.

If someone out there has a cosmetically damaged DE-1 with good glass for sale, I would be glad to hear from them.

Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration