Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM2n ASA Dial problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » OM2n ASA Dial problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Weir

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an OM2n, circa 1982. The ASA dial has stopped working. The setting appears to be stuck at 200ASA, changing the setting has no effect on the meter reading. The compensation dial does appear when compensation is set, but again no change in meter reading.

Does anyone have any idea what this is likely to be, so that I can make an informed decision whether to try this myself. Some tips on removing the rewind lever would also be of help.

Thanks,
Chris

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 06:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the OM1 and OM2, the ASA dial is an empty shell that's part of the top cover. The actual control is a separate part underneath, and they are connected by a tab engaging a slot between the two parts. Perhaps the tab/slot has become disengaged in your camera.

The hub of the wind lever is a regular right hand threaded screw, and the rewind knob is a right hand thread on top of its shaft; the collar around the flash shoe mount has to be removed (careful not to scratch the chrome; there's a wonderful little tool for this available from beljanmfg on ebay), there are 2 screws under the rewind knob and a RH threaded collar under the wind lever, and the cover lifts off. watch out for a loose spring under the rewind knob.

Chris Weir

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick.

I have now removed the top cover. The ASA control seems to be moving with the external control. I have not yet checked that turning the inner control does not affect the reading, but will do so when I next have a session with this camera. I suspect a broken wire or similar. More investigation required.

Chris

Chris Weir

Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After studying the OM2 repair manual, it appears that the fault is a mechanical one, as the Film speed setting is coupled to the view finder indication by the cord arrangement. I shall have to further dismantle the camera to find the problem.

Chris

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration