Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica GSN questions Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica GSN questions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jon Flanders

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 09:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been working on a couple of GSN's. I had to take the lens body off to replace the "pad of death" on one, got a new pad in, but now can't get the shutter release to stay up, I must have misaligned one of the two spring-loaded rods. Any fixes for this?

I had to solder the wire to the the battery compartment on the other one, got the electricity flowing and the camera back together. But on this one, instead of arrows in the rangefinder window I see just red and yellow circles. The shutter seems to be working correctly, but no arrows.
Did I jar something loose in the rangefinder?

Jon Flanders

Jon Flanders

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After looking through some messages to the forum, I see that I didn't take the screw out of the rod that the arm from the longer shutter rod rests on.

Do I now have a parts camera?

Jon Flanders

Jon Flanders

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 06:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I fixed the arrow problem. The little piece that projects the arrows had fallen off.

The camera is back together and seems well except some binding in the focus ring. What might be causing this? It seems to be intermittent. Sometimes it will turn smoothly, other times it binds at different spots, most often at the infinity mark.

Jon Flanders

Jon Flanders

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll keep answering my own questions. The focus ring was binding because the screw I thought I had lost fell inside the camera.

All is well, the camera is back together. I used those little white sticky rings that are used to reinforce three ring notebooks for the winder seal. Several stacked on top of each other seem to make a pretty good gasket.

Jon Flanders

Howard

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jon,
Keep up the good work. My only query is the use of the sticky rings. I'm not sure that time, heat etc might not break down the adhesive and perhaps cloud the viewfinder system. I think you would be better off using black felt or good quality light seal type foam sheeting. I've noticed from some of your other postings that you are a Yashica fan. Good choice!!
Best wishes,
Howard

Jon Flanders

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard,

I suppose any glue is problematic near the rangefinder. I am trying a paper glue stick to put the rangefinder cover back on after reading the Yashica Guy's warning about crazy glue.

I've picked up a Zorki 4, Canonet QL 17 in my rangefinder mania at the moment, but the Yashica is still the favorite. Am getting pretty good at taking the top off and putting it back on.

Jon Flanders

Jeff Simpson

Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a GSN with a loose focus ring. I see the three small screws, which when tighten bind up the ring but don't seem to engage the focus cam. Is there anyway to reset this focus ring so the camera can be focused?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration