Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing lens from Petri 2.8/ frozen ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Removing lens from Petri 2.8/ frozen helicoid focus ring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ron ledvora

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm attempting to restore a Petri 2.8, which has a working shutter and f-stop ring. The focusing helicoid ring seems to be stuck. The rest of the camera is mint-clean, found at a garage sale.
How is the lens removed from the body?
Is there a good way to "unstick" the focus ring without removing the lens? Is the black painted focus ring supposed to move freely within the outer chrome ring?

Howard

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ron,
The black painted focus ring and the outer chrome ring move together if it is the Green-O-Matic version.(green glass in focus window)
Unfortunately you will need to strip the camera down to fix this properly and the leatherette tends to come off in chunks. You could try heating the focussing ring a little with a hair dryer to see if you can get it moving and then work it backwards and forwards. Don't force it though. Good luck, they were great cameras.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The best solution is to disassemble, clean and lubricate. I think I have some pictures where I did this to a Petri 2.8. I'll look around when I get home tonight. Like Howard, says, though, the leatherette will tend to break off in chunks.

There is a quick-fix you can try. Open the back and look through the film opening. You should see two concentric tubes. These are the helicoid pieces. You can try to add a little oil in between the two tubes. I used Nyoil, but any thin oil should work. Use just a little at a time, wait a few minutes and see if the focus ring will start to move. The danger is if you get to much oil it can run down into the shutter and then you have to do a complete cleaning of the shutter.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration