Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina IIa: Jammed (?) Film-Advance L... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Retina IIa: Jammed (?) Film-Advance Lever « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jon

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Retina IIa was working well until the middle of a roll. Then the film advance became stiff for a couple of frames. Then, when I tried to wind the next frame, the advance lever wouldn't move more than a token amount. The black film-takeup spool still turns and I was able to rewind and remove the film. There is no obvious foreign matter (like a piece of film) in the film compartment. The tip of the advance lever moves freely about 1/4" but won't move further. It feels like it normally does when the film counter reaches "1" and the advance lever locks, but in this case turning the film counter has no effect on the jam.

Questions:

-Does this sound like a film-counter interlock problem? a foreign object jammed in the mechanism? broken cocking rack? something else?

-How easy is DIY repair in this kind of situation? I'm mechanically inclined but have never worked on cameras. I would consider attempting a repair here if it's not very difficult, as the camera is no collector's item and I suspect the cost of professional repair might exceed replacement value.

Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like it could be either of the above, but the fact that it became stiff before locking up suggests the cocking rack. I believe I have some sketches for disassembling the top end of the Retina, but reassembling the frame counter in particular is a genuine pain. there is a good guide for that on the web, though.....

:)=

Jon

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. I removed the top of the camera but couldn't figure out how to remove the cocking rack support bracket so that I could examine the cocking rack. I reassembled the camera but it's still jammed. I think that I need to examine the cocking rack before I do anything else. Can you tell me where to find your disassembly sketches? I couldn't find them at http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-27.html

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration