Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon EM Meter Problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Nikon EM Meter Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kate

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone - in trying to find an answer to my problem, I stumbled upon this forum. I was hoping you could help me with my Nikon EM I just picked up. It seems to work fine, except for the batteries (new); the battery check does not appear to be reading the batteries, and therefore the meter isn't showing any reading. I've tried cleaning the contacts, but this hasn't helped. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Kate. Help me a bit...are you trying things with film in the camera or without? I believe the EM won't activate the meter until the film frame counter reaches the "1" mark, so you might need to cock and fire a few times. I'm sure the batteries are installed in the right direction, right? The + side should face up into the camera. Those are the first two obvious thoughts I have. Please let me know. There may be an easy answer.

Jon

Kate

Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon - Thank you for the quick reply! I am trying this without film in the camera...but, nothing changes with the meter when i cock and fire and advance the film frame counter. Is there a chance it would be different with film in? I didn't want to risk wasting a roll of film to find out it didn't make a difference. And the batteries are definitely installed in the right direction.

Kate

Jon Goodman

Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Kate.
No, film wouldn't change things. I was simply hoping you had not installed film until you were sure things were working ok...not to waste it. From what you've described, "juice" is not getting past your battery, or at least we can conclude it is not making it to the battery check button. So, unless we can make the needle jump out of the haystack at us, we have a little searching to do. Unfortunately, that is going to require some disassembly and chasing around some circuits with an electronic tester. Is that something you're up for, or not? If it isn't, please feel free to click on my name and contact me directly.

Jon

Kate

Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon, I would love some advice about disassembling it...my dad is pretty handy with electronics & an electronic tester, but neither of us has every disassembled a camera before. If you think it's "simple" enough that we can do some stuff, I'd love to hear your suggestions. Thanks!

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The main trick in opening up the EM is getting the round black collar off the film wind lever. This is the part that surrounds the shutter release button. It has a left-hand thread, and it may be locked in place by a tiny set screw on the edge of the wind lever. Try wearing a rubber glove to get a good grip on it. (Don't use ordinary tools like pliers, or you will mar the part.) Once you get this collar off, all you have to do is remove the remaining small screws and pry off a clip around the rewind shaft.

Note that serviceable EM bodies can be had for $50 on eBay. Also note that the EM functions manually without a meter. The default shutter speed on "AUTO" will be approximately 1/1000 and M90 will give you 1/90 for flash sych.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration