Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Voightlander Bessamatic Shutter Stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Voightlander Bessamatic Shutter Stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jon Flanders

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Voightlander Bessamatic that I inherited from my grandfather which looks great but has what seems to be a stuck shutter. When you look through the viewfinder at a bright light you can see the fresnel screen darkly, as if the mirror is down, and you can see the meter needle which appears to be moving.

The film advance lever won't advance, as if waiting for the shutter to fire.

Since this is an heirloom item, I am loth to take it apart myself. Any recommendations for Voightlander repair people to ship it to?

Thanks,

Jon Flanders

Ezio Bonsignore

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First thing is to check whether the shutter may simply be stuck due to solidified oil because of lack of use. I assume that you are aware that your camera has interchangleable lenses. Remove the lens to expose the shutter blades, and put some lighter fluid (or naphta, or cleaning gasoline) on them. Then try to fire the shutter. It may be necessary to repeat this several times. If this doesn't help, then I will leave to next answer to someone who knows better than me.

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I might be able to be of some limiteed help with a do-it-yourself repair, but i'm not familiar with any pro services who handle these. there is a directory of repair services at http://acecam.com/srindex.html

Jon Flanders

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I decided to send the camera to SK Grimes in Rhode Island. I didn't want to mess with it myself. My grandfather was a mechanical engineer and kept things just so, and thats the way I want this one to be.

I'll practice on $15 Yashica's for now. Thanks for the input.

Jon Flanders

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 08:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SK Grimes is an excellent shop. Mr. Grimes himself unfortunately passed away recently, but I'm sure that the work is being carried on in a manner appropriate to the high standards he set.

:)=

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration