Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentacon 6 converters Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Pentacon 6 converters « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Shel Sherman

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently purchased a Kiev 88CM. The inability to obtain flash sync above 1/30 second is an obvious shortcoming and I have been looking for a way to adapt a leaf shutter lens to the Pentacon 6 mount on the camera. No one seems to make such an adapter and I am unclear why. Is there some problem with adapting a leaf shutter to this type of camera or is it just that no one has bothered to do so? Also, what lenses might be appropriate if such an adapter became available?

Thanks,

Shel Sherman

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The camera doesn't have any simple means of coupling the viewing system to a leaf shutter. If you don't mind setting the leaf shutter to B, focusing, then closing the leaf shutter, opening the FP shutter, tripping the leaf shutter while the FP shutter is open and closing the FP shutter before you reopen the leaf shutter to focus your next shot, then all you need is a Pentacon mounting flange with a focusing mount that you can attach a lens/shutter assembly to. The easiest way to do this is probably to buy a junk lens of similar focal length to what you want, throw out the glass and diaphragm and make a lens board that you can attach to the front.

Shel Sherman

Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems obvious, now that you have spelled it out! Possible, but messy. I understand that the Hasselblad has leaf shutter capability. Do they go through the same machinations or have they developed another scheme?

Thanks for the information. I may try it just for fun.

Shel Sherman

Winfried

Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 04:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The leaf shutter Hasselblads follow the same scheme, except that they do not have a real FP shutter but an 'auxiliary shutter' in the film plane only. Of course all the actions Rick describes run automatically once you pressed the shutter.

Also, they don't have to set the leaf shutter in the lens to B and don't have to cock it twice. In leaf shutter SLRs special versions of common leaf shutters are used which have a special mechanism to keep them open as long as the mirror is down for viewing and they don't have to be cocked for this.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration