Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

PETRI 7s rangefinder focus inaccurate... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » PETRI 7s rangefinder focus inaccurate !!!!! Help Please « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Henry Huynh

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I just replaced the reflective (see through) lens in my 1.8 petri 7s with the one took out from a 2.8 7s.

After install it, the rangefinder looks like new, clear and bright, but I think there's an issue with it's acuraccy; the distance seem to be off by double it's value, in another word, when I try to focus something at 4 feet, the camera shows at ~8ft or so ... is it normal or I need to do some adjustment and how.... any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance,

Henry H.

Winfried

Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In most cases you will have to readjust the rangefinder. This is usually done by pointing at a contrasty object far away (100 ft minimum). In most cameras there are adjustment screws. From my experience with the Petri Racer I think that the 7s does NOT have any adjustment screws. In this case you have to bend (or rather twist) the holder of the fully reflective tiny mirror until both images match (with the lens set to oo, of course).

On almost all rangefinder cameras I have seen the rangefinder mechanism is coupled to the displacement of the lens system necessary for focussing. The displacement is identical for all lenses with same focal length, so you probably could even swap the complete rangefinder module between camera models with lenses with different power but same focal length.

Ron Purk

Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 7s range finder is pretty simple to adjust. Remove the accessory shoe to reach the mirror, then use needle nose pliers to gently twist the mirror as necessary. Left or right for range, up or down for vertical alignment. You actually grip the metal, not the glass.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration