Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Screws, Paint, and Tools questions Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Screws, Paint, and Tools questions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Will Inoue

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I was wondering if there was a source where I could buy small screws typically used in cameras. A screw assortment set would be great.

Also I need to repaint a black Canon body. Would using Rustoleum be ok (oil based)?

Additionally I am looking for drivers or sockets that fit the two pin type of finish screw heads on cameras. Romney and Micro-Tools don't seem to carry these. Do most Pros use a modified round nose plier for these?

Thanks,
Will

charlie

Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For occasional use you can bend a paper clip so that the two ends can be held with a pair of pliers with the just a small portion of the ends protrudes beyond the pliers to match the spacing of the snake eye screw.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For small screws, you can go to http://www.micro-tools.com or http://www.smallparts.com

For the pin-face screws, you can buy a really nice tool from a guy selling on eBay. I can't remember his name right now. It's adjustable, very sturdy and works great, but is expensive (about $43). You can also take a screwdriver and file away the center leaving two points. This is quick, cheap and works perfectly. You have to make a different tool for each spacing, of course.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I almost forgot. The best source of small screws is junk cameras. You can often get 10-20 usable screws off of it along with other spare parts. The added benefit is you get to study the camera and sharpen your skills while you disassemble the camera to get the screws, springs, mirrors, etc. :)

Ed

Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

for paint, Krylon works well they gloss, semi-gloss (1613) that matches most camera bodies well. for touch-up, make a funnel from paper and put in small bottle and then spray into funnel and let it run into the bottle.

Roger Provins

Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's some ideas for home made tools on my web pages http://www.provins.org.uk

Regards
Roger

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 02:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Roger, just had a look at your site. Thanks for posting the complete Electro35 schematics with notes. Do you happen to have the Lynx14E schematics?

Will

Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everybody for the tips. I have a few good leads to follow up on now.

Will

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration