Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax, What battery to use? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Pentax, What battery to use? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bruce

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi: I would like to know which battery everyone is using in there Pentax Spotmatics? I have two and would like someone to tell me what they are using as a replacement battery. I have a SP500 & a Spotmatic II. If you could give me the battery numbers for this. Thanks to all!!

Jim Brokaw

Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I -think- the Spotmatic uses a 'battery-voltage-independent' meter design... so you just need a battery that fits in the battery chamber and delivers as many or slightly more volts than the original way back when. I think the one I've seen suggested is a silver-oxide #389 watch battery (maybe it was a #386, though). Silver-oxide batterys put out ~1.55 volts when new, and the discharge voltage curve as they age is pretty close to the discharge curve of the old now-discontinued 1.35v mercury batterys that were originally used in the Spotmatics. Maybe someone else here is more sure on the correct physical size watch battery, just be sure you get the silver oxide type.

John Farrell

Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 03:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Pentax meter uses a "bridge" type circuit, which makes it independent of battery voltage. This means you don't have to worry about the discharge characteristics of the battery you use - I've used alkaline and silver cells in Spotmatics with equal success. The only requirement is that the cell fits the battery holder.

miles

Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bruce,
I agree with Jim and John about the fact your Spotmatics don't need a mercury battery and that finding a battery that fits is all that matters.
However, here are a few more numbers to consider. The Spotmatics SP-F/SP-F Motor/SP-F Data II use a 625. All other Spotmatics use a 400.

I am interested to know if I am wrong.

miles

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Miles is correct. The Spotmatic F uses a PX625, all other Spotmatics use a PX400.

Jan

Bruce

Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all your help I got the Spotmatic working just fine now!!!!!!!!

Jim Brokaw

Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just picked up a Spotmatic SP 1000 which cleaned up pretty good. It had a PX400 battery with a little round plastic shim around it, which I'm sure is dead by now... what size of a watch battery will fit? I'd estimate it might be a 386 or 389, or maybe a 395...? I'm hoping that the 'no meter' is just due to the battery being DOA...

paul ron

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW if you check the polarity of the 400 battery it is opposite of a regular button cell. There is a site that shows how to make an adapter.

Al Sutten

Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! I have several old Canon slr's that use a px625 battery. An air battery replacement at 1.35 volts can be had at www.micro-tools.com. They discharge constantly like hearing aid batteries but still last 3-4 months under occasional use. Seems like they cost $4 or so.

John Farrell

Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use an AC13E hearing aid cell in my Canon FT. It lasts 5 to 6 months with occasional use.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration