Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax KM or K1000 lightmeter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Pentax KM or K1000 lightmeter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Dvorak

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Pentax KM has a following problem: without a battery the meter needle stays dead center in the display window. Once a battery is installed, the meter needle swings to the top (+ side) and no degree of ASA, f-stop or shutter speed movement will make it move downwards. Yes, I am using a correct battery with correct voltage (S-76 at 1.5V). I believe the KM has just about the same meter circuitry as the Spotmatic F, the K1000 and the KX - anybody with some ideas out there?

Many thanks,

Jan

Don

Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

W/o a battery, the needle should ctr. Oxidation can cause the problem you're having. Moving the lens from min to max. aperture quickly a few times & doing the same w/the shutter spd/asa resistor might help. Usually occurs in humid weather or if the camera has been stored for awhile @ the same settings. If no go, then the top has to come off to check the wiring to the spd/asa & aperture resistor(@ the front). Check the ground screw w/washer on the rewind end & also the 1 on the spd resistor itself (sits on a lug @ the back near the prism) that can be overlooked. Clean & tighten both. I'd suspect a faulty connection to either of the 3 resistors but best to check all the soldered joints w/a vom.
K1000, KM & Spt F have the same circuit bd- the only difference is the F has the pot for adj. SD metering.
Don

Ed

Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when you have the top off the first thing I would check are the yellow and black wires going from the speed dial to the rewind side of the camera. If the camera gets bumped on the top it can sever one or both of these wires and you do not have the resistance from the speed/asa dial and the needle will peg.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am happy to report that the meter is fully functional again. Once the top plate was removed, I checked all the connections as suggested above. I did notice that while rotating the aperture, there was movement in the meter assembly, but no movement when I changed the shutter speeds. That lead me to believe that I truly had a problem with the speed dial/ASA resistor. Tightened all the screws, checked all connections and the meter is back to life.

I hope it stays that way.....

Many thanks to Don and Ed.

Jan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration