Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Scratched internal lens.... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Scratched internal lens.... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andy

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi, ive just recently bought a nikon F55 and loaned it to a friend to take on holiday un fortunatley the internal lens ( the lens with the 3 focusing squares on ) got very dusty, after trying many things i simply couldnt clean this! now due to lack of sleep i decided to use a screw driver and a slightly wet cloth (the idea was to use the screw driver to get into the corners) and then a dry cloth to polish, when i checked after i actually did this there were 2 long scratches on this internal lens.
after screaming and shouting at myself, i pondered if this could be repaired and straight the way consulted the internet, could anyone let me know if it can be repaired?
i know this doesnt effect the out come of the picture but it is something i would like to get fixed, but for now can live with.
thanks for your help
Andy

Kar Yan Mak (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am assuming the "lens with the 3 focusing squares" is the viewfinder screen. You can simply replace it. Believe it or not, a couple of years ago I did the same thing and scratched my Elan IIE's (EOS 50E) viewfinder screen. The scratch could be seen everytime I look into the viewfinder. So I went to my local repair and after I waited 2 weeks for the part to arrive to the repair shop from Canon, they replaced the screen and even helped me clean out the mirror for USD $27.

From that time on, I know better not to clean the viewfinder screen. If there's a spec or two of dust, use a blower only (NOT compressed air or any type of cloth/tissue).

Winfried

Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 04:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is almost impossible to clean a modern focussing screen without scratching it - they are made from molded plastic, and the very fine surface structure gets damaged when applying any tool.

I had good results when giving them to my optician to clean them in an ultrasonic bath. The only DIY method I would recommend is to rinse (NOT wipe!!!) a focussing screen with a strong solution of dish washing lotion, and let it dry (with one edge pointing downwards).

Anders

Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have use a rubber (without sand) to clean screens, and after that soap and water. But make sure the rubber is clean and absolutely free from sand.

Anders

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration