Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon ae-1 need help with shutter!!!! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canon ae-1 need help with shutter!!!! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sylvia

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi; I bought a camera from ebay an Canon AE-1 and the shutter curtain does not open when you fire the camera. When you push the shutter button the camera fires and will open the mirror. Then you can recock the camera. I took off the lens and you can see the curtan move as you recock the camera. Yet when you fire camera the curtains wont move to open. you can see through the view finder the M light and the metter seems to be working. Any help would be welcome. Thanks

Ed

Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are you saying the curtains don't travel across or they travel across, but don't open?

sylvia

Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They travel across when you recock the camera. But will not open when you fire the camera.

Will

Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sylvia,

Have you tried the camera on "B"? The shutter should open and stay open as long as the shutter release is held. You should not see either curtain (or any portion of)when looking at the shutter. If it works here then the camera is probably just in need of a CLA.

I'm also wondering if the shutter is travelling so fast that you cannot see it - i.e. it is working fine. Hold the camera up to the light, and while looking thru the camera back, fire the shutter. You should see light.

Will

Sylvia

Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter is not opening at all. I have held it towards the light with back open no light comes through at all. I have tryed on B setting and holding the shutter button down nothing happens shutter does not open any. Camera still fires mirror opens as if it fired. I even have to recock it. Have M light flashing in view finder like it should everything else semes to work OK.

Ed

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if you take the bottom plate off, in the center of camera body you will a magnet--this magnet is supposed to hold the second curtain until it released by the shutter timing mechansim. It sounds like this magnet is not holding. Check to see if it is latched when the shutter is cocked. If it is, try hold the keeper while tripping the shutter--second curtain should remain open until you let go. It sounds like is it not holding--could be a bad magnet or the shutter timing mechanism is faulty.

Sylvia

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ed ; I hope that you are still with me on this. I removed the bottom the magnet is holding when camera is cocked. It releases when you fire the camera. I held it with a toothpick and fired the camera the curtain stayed open as you said it would. I also Noticed a little slack in the shutter at the top of the camera. I didn,t notice it befor. Would the camera be worth fixing? It has a bad mirror foam to. other than these problems it seems ok. Thanks for your help.

Garrys Camera Repair

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will strongly recommend not to tamper with it unless you know exactly what you’re doing. You may short out the main board and cause an even bigger problem. We do specialize in repairing this particular model. Our estimate would be $53.00. Please visit our web site for more details.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Garry,
www.garryscamera.com
garryscamera@yahoo.com

Sylvia

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Replaced small magnet!!! Camera is working perfect now. Tested in all settings including B shutter is working great camera shutter has no slack in it as I thought before. Now to fix the mirror foam. Thanks to all who helped me!!!!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration