Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleicord V scratching film Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Rolleicord V scratching film « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wayne

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've read these scratches are known as " tram lines". Nice title, but I'm getting dozens of vertical scratches the length of each roll. Figured it had to be in the film stransport and cleaned and checked the rollers (air and alcohol),tried another roll - still there ! The mechanism is so simple it's hard to believe it's happening ! I'm grateful for any and all suggestions

Note: The lines print black

Thanks!

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wayne,

Have you checked the pressure plate? Who does your developing? Just a couple of thoughts...

Jan

Wayne

Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cleaned the pressure plate and really didn't see anything on it that would scratch the film - used air and alcohol. I develop my own black and white pictures. A recent roll of color which was lab processed had the same scratches.
I see no adjustment for the pressure plate other than the format adjustment. I've only shot 120 through this camera. Thanks for the thought.. I'm getting near empty.

Ezio

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 04:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a shot in the dark, but - have you checked the negatives? If these lines are produced by any mechanical cause, then they should appear in the negative in the form of physical scratches (that is, actually biting into the film). Also, given that 120 film is paper backed the pressure plate cannot possibly be the culprit. You should rather look for something, that can touch the front face of the film as it passes from one roll to the other. My chief suspect would be the rewind mechanism, but that's just a wild guess. If no physical scratches exist, then you have a problem with the lens. Also: do the vertical lines are in exactly the same positions in all rolls?

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Duh...! Silly of me - it can't be the pressure plate, the paper protects the film from that side. But - I cannot see how a lens would produce scratches.

Wayne, if the scratches are always in the same area, try laying the negs on the film gate and see if you can at least locate that area. Do the scratches run the entire length of the roll? Another silly idea of mine - could it be the film itself? Are all the films that you are using the same type and the same emulsion batch? It is a pretty slim chance, but I have seen defective films in the past.....

Jan

Ezio

Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What I meant was that the lens themselves could be scratched and project the defect on the film. This sounds odd, but if the negatives are not physically damaged then it is the only logical answer. Wayne, perhaps you might try this: cut a long strip of thin paper to a width of 6cm, put it on an empty roll and load it as if it were film. Advance/shoot a few times, and then check carefully if there are any sign of damage on the paper. If so, it is the advance. If not, rewind the "film" and check again. Still, I'm afraid we are missing something here. The film will unwind/wind/rewind onto itself, with the sensitive part rolling up continuously against the paper back on the previous/next sections, and there is no logical way for anything anywhere inside the camera to produce scratches by continuously working against the film. Whatever produces the scratches must necessarily do so while the film is passing in front of the exposure window.

Ezio

Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 04:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have a Rolleicord V to check, but does it have any lips for the film to pass over when leaving a spool or/and rolling itself over the other? If so, then such lips are almost certainly the source of your problem. We are not talking about cleaning here - look for some microscopic dent or protruding metal splinter.

Ed

Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess I would first determine if the scratches are on the emulsion or the back side. Another possibility is processing--can't imagine it is the lens--any defects on the lens won't show up as sharp on the film. About the only thing in a Rolleicord V that could scratch are the film rollers. Make sure they are rotating smoothly. Anything related to the camera would have to be on the emulsion side.

Wayne Brown

Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone: The scratches are being caused by something (rust?) as the film passes under the first roller. I put film through the camera through each roller seperately. I'm thinking it might have gotten wet (or wet film ?!) in it's distant past. There's a metal "frame" that the film must be hitting. Very hard to get to as the pin is very close. I'm tempted to pull some fine samdpaper through and see if I can smooth it. I don't see any way to remove the pin - it's the first feeler pin which is tripped when it "feels" the film and starts the gears towards setting the first frame.

John Seaman

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 01:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you really passing the film under the rollers? If so this is wrong, the film simply passes over each roller.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe that the Rolleicord V has an auto feeling mechanism, which requires the film to be fed under the first roller in order to activate the film counter. Similar in operation to the Rolleiflex.

Jan

Wayne Brown

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I'm passing the film under the first roller.
I believe Jan to be correct. The mechanism "feels" the film/paper juncture and triggers the counter mechanism. The film is being scatched right there - hence the sandpaper idea to knock off any high spots.

John Seaman

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 01:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No No No!

No Rolleicord has the feeler system for detecting the start of the film. Only (some)Rolleiflexes have this system.

With the Rolleicord, just pass the film over (yes over) the two silver rollers. Wind with the knob until the arrows or bar on the film backing coincides with the red dots on the film guide rails. Close the camera and continue winding until the knob stops and the number 1 appears in the window.

I am surprised you can even wind the film with it passing under the rollers.

Hope this helps.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration