Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Aperture lever in back of lens resist... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Aperture lever in back of lens resisting movement. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jack

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was given a Chinon CP-7m camera as a handmedown graduation gift. One of the lenses that came with it, a Chinar 35-70mm Zoom/Macro has a problem.

The lever in the back that controls the aperture does not move smoothly, and gets stuck when I try sliding it with my finger. I first noticed there was a problem when the screen would get darker after taking a photo at a smaller aperture. The lever is too difficult for the camera to open back up for the next composition.

I've called a few repair shops nearby, but the age of the camera- and the fact that Chinon doen't exist anymore have been a problem. Does anyone have any insight as to how I could fix this (I've only tried blowing compressed air at it, to no avail), or know of someplace that still repairs Chinon and their lenses?

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe there are repair shops for Chinon lenses. But there are lots of low-cost zooms with PK mount (I think that's the lens mount the CP7 has) available for close to nothing. So you probably would be better off buying another lens with same or similar specs and a working aperture on the used equipment market.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What you describe is usually caused by grease, or oil, and dirt in the diaphragm. You have to get the lens elements out, pull out the diaphragm and clean with solvent. I'm not familiar with this lens, so can't tell you what the procedure is. Maybe someone else can. Zoom lenses can be difficult to reassemble and refocus.

Like Winfried said, you can buy many very good old lenses for very little money, so it's generally not worth the cost of professional repair. You either fix it yourself, or sell that one and buy another.

Jack

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where would one look for PK mount lenses? eBay has a very limited selection, and other than B&H and Photogon- and not surprisingly, they don't carry them.

Thanks for the quick responses! I really appreciate it.

M. Currie

Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try www.KEH.com. You can get a serviceable 35-70 in Pentax mount (or probably just about any other mount too) for under 50 bucks. My experience with KEH's "bargain" condition is that it is usually pretty nice, and very serviceable. Here, for example, is a Sigma 35-70. I have this lens in Konica mount, and it's reasonably sharp and fast enough to use as a normal lens much of the time, but it was a bargain lens when new, and now it's dirt cheap.

http://www.keh.com/shop/SHOWPRODUCT.CFM?CRID=8068522&SKID=PK0900900069206&SID=newused&BID=PK&CID=09&SOID=N&curpic=0&dpsp=0

Donnie Strickland

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jack -- I don't know what search criteria you used for ebay when you went lens-hunting, but "a very limited selection"? Just look for "Pentax lens" and you will get a ton of results. I have purchased four lenses for my Pentax KX and Ricoh XR-P and my wife's Ricoh XR-10 from ebay, all very reasonably priced and all fine lenses. Just about any Pentax/Ricoh/Chinon PK-mount manual-focus lens will fit.

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But attention - of course the Pentax screw mount lenses will NOT fit a PK/K bayonet camera.

Donnie Strickland

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to Winfried for the clarification.:)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration