Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Stubborn screws how do I remove? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Stubborn screws how do I remove? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

soundboy

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 05:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm trying to remove some screws from the handle of my Nikon R10 super 8mm camera so I can get inside and have a look.

But the screws won't turn, any tricks to help remove them.

columbotrek

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A drop of penatrating oil and allowing it to sit for a day. They if it still will not turn, apply some heat to the screw. I use a high wattage soldering iron. You are trying to expand and contract the metal a few times hoping to loosen it. Another thing which can work is to apply torque to the screw while tapping the driver with a small hammer. Last resourt, drill off the screw head. Then remove the the remaining shaft with gripping pliers. Of course you will need to replace the ruined screw.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS...Don't forget to try tightening it before you try loosening it. No kidding. This is the direction the screw was going when it was last turned. Sometimes turning in that same direction will cause it to release enough to move.
Jon

Ian

Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If penetrating oil does not work, try a tiny drop of hydraulic fluid. I don't want to state the obvious but I have been caught out by Left Hand threads before now.

paul ron

Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hate when that happens. Try not to strip it, use a niuce sharp screwdriver and all the tips above first. If all else fails, carefully drill off the head and remove the stub with a hemostat. If you have to drill it all the way out , you'll have to chase the threads out with a tap.

Good luck.

Henry

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have a drill press...or a friend with one? The method I use as a last resort is to chuck up a good quality screwdriver bit. Wedge the camera body in the vise jaws---wrapped in a washcloth! Don't tighten the jaws on the camera. Just use it as a stop to keep the camera from turning or moving as you very gently apply pressure with the quill's handle as you turn the chuck with your other hand.

Obviously you don't turn the drill on. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration