Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM-1 Light meter problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » OM-1 Light meter problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gary

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have acquired a mint OM-1 that has been a closet case for the past 20 years. I replaced the battery, but the light meter still seems to not be working properly. The indicator only responds when the shutter speed is set around 1-4 in all light conditions. Anyone have an idea what the problem is?

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sounds dead. a common cause of this is corrosion in the (-) charged wire from the battery compartment; another (in early OM1s) is a plastic screw that held the battery terminal in place... this would break and leave the terminal loose. later ones use a metal screw with an insulating collar.

:)=

Michael

Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've read several opinions about the OM-1 light meters. The comment about the screw attaching the
battery compartment to the camera body is true.
However in my experience it usually is not the problem. The problem is much harder to reach. And if you are not a technician or have experiece repairing cameras. I would leave this repair to someone who is qualified. Michael. P.S. I have repaired about 10 of these things and it usually isn't the screw.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration