Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Re-Mirroring Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Re-Mirroring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Will

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Does anybody know of a place that will re-mirror a prism? I have one that is deteriorating badly. The glass seems perfect - just the mirroring is going - especially on the corners of the prism.

Thanks,
Will

kuchi

Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i guess you are talking about Olympus OM-1, which is famous of this problem.

I did not try but heard of somebody use the "reflection paper" (sorry, not know its exact name) on car window as mirror.

Will

Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Actually it's a Canon F1 (standard) prism. Oddly it's happening on one of three cameras I have, and it's the cleanest and newest and most pampered of the three. Go figure..

Thanks,
Will

Paul Ron

Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a person here that is very good at silvering and has access to a lab, which is really needed due to using strong acids. I gave him the formula some time ago and he has become very good at it with great results. Search this forum for re-silvering mirror and I am sure you will come up with a ton of info adn tips. Prisms are easy.

Sean OKeefe

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will,
I have resilvered a prism for an Olympus Pen F. You will see the description of the procedure in the archives. Email me and we can discuss whether or not you want me to have a crack at it. There also may be some professional resources available - in one of my messages I reported a list of mirroring companies.
Cheers
Sean

Will

Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Sean,

I've run a search and found some of the old threads. I looked into the process and it is something I don't want to try myself (due to dangerous chemicals). If you could repost or send me the links as I couldn't find that post - That would be great.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration