Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica 14e lens plate removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica 14e lens plate removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Howard

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 05:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi folks. My 14e shutter keeps sticking. I have cleaned the blades from the front and it was working for about a month but now has gummed up again. There seems to be an endless supply of oil. Also the metering system only works sometimes, so I thought I might remove the lens plate, clean the shutter blades from the back as well as the front and check/replace the wiring to and from the switch. However the wiring side of things is not my strength so I was wondering how many wires am I going to have to do battle with when I lift the plate. Are there only the wires to and from the switch or are there other wires from the metering slides in the lens barrel. Any information will be gratefully received.

columbotrek

Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are only a couple of wires going to the lens. One is for the flash sync and the other goes to some slip rings which are part of the metering system. If your meter is intermintent, perhaps those slip rings are soiled. I freed up a sitcky shutter with a good rinsing of Naptha (lighter fluid). The slip rings are also accesses through the front. To access the meter switch, you will need to remove the lens from the body. I have not yet done this but I am told that there is enough slack in the wires to allow it. There are some archived posts here which detail how to remove the lens from the body.

Tom

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard, I have rebuilt several of these 14E's as they are one of my favorites. IMPORTANT !! don't use anything on the those resistor rings except a good electrical contact cleaner, and no heavy wiping, and don't bend the spring type contacts and you will be fine. Less is better. There is a great link on this thread to repair of Yashica.
It is really an easy camera to work on. GOOD LUCK

Howard

Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 01:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the comments guys. The shutter is working fine again(good old lighter fluid). I had previously shortened and resoldered the lead from the battery holder(melted a little plastic along the way)but I will revisit this first and try bypassing the switch to try to identify the problem. I don't think that it is the slides because it was working perfectly for about a month after my last foray. If it is the switch I'll open it up.
I'll let you know how I go.
Thanks again.
Howard

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration