Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Does this look like fungus? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Does this look like fungus? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Jones

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got this Vivitar Series 1 70-210 zoom and there is a hazy ring around the back of the front element. As you can see in the second picture, it appears like tiny scratches. Does this look like fungus:

http://members.cox.net/pat77/pics/MVC-168S.JPG
http://members.cox.net/pat77/pics/MVC-169S.JPG

paul ron

Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks more like someone wipped the lens from the back, inside, and left the edges undone. The element probably should be removed to clean it properly and inspect it to see if infact it is a fungus but I doubt it though.

Ezio

Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

99.99% certainty it is no fungus. It is inside for sure, and Paul above may well be right. The alternatives could be some oil deposit or (hopefully not) a terrible cleaning that has ruined the lens. In any case you will need to open it to check.

James Jones

Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info! I'll take that element out and look at it as soon as I get a decent set of spanners. All I have now is a homemade tool that just doesn't have enough oomph to turn that big 67mm retaining ring!

James

columbotrek

Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My guess is the the coating on that element is delaminating. Either that or the balsam glueing a group together is breaking down. Don't know if it can be fixed short of having the lens elements disassebled and recoated and glued.

Anders

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

James, have you drop the lens? In the first pic. it looks like the elements has separated.

Anders.

James Jones

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I didn't drop it, but I just got it as part of a group of Minolta gear (cheap!), so I thought I might try to repair it. Does anyone have a diagram showing how the elements are arranged? I'm wondering if there is more than one element in that first group. This is the first version of the Series 1 70-210 f/3.5 macro zoom.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration