Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zenit B mirror position off after fir... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Zenit B mirror position off after firing shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just aquired a Zenit B, serial number 6913xxxx and discovered a strange problem with it. I focus to a sharp image in the viewfinder then fire the shutter - then the viewfinder image becomes slightly out of focus. Obviously the mirror did not move back to quite the right place. When I wind on for the next shot, the image snaps into focus again. I tried this with the lens unscrewed and I could see the mirror move ever so slightly when I wound on.
Is this a common problem? How to fix?

John Farrell

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 01:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The zenits have an interesting mirror drive - the mirror has its own adjustable spring, like the shutter springs, and adjusted in a similar way. The drive is linked to the shutter system through a set of gears. It could be that your zenit needs a CLA, as it sounds like the cam that lifts and returns the mirror is not reaching the home position after the second curtain closes.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John is right...if you remove the lens and look inside, you should see a little metal plate at the bottom of the chamber that is held in place by two screws. The answer to your problem is underneath this. My guess is the gear-driven wheel/cam stops short of lifting your mirror back up as far as it should. This isn't a terrifically difficult fix, but I suppose if it doesn't make you crazy, it could be left alone. To repair it, you have to loosen (but not remove)the screw holding that cam in place, hold the gear next to it from moving, lift up the cam gear until its teeth are free from the mesh and rotate it until the mirror post rides on top of the cam. This is much easier to describe with a picture or three. Do not let go of the cam gear while you have it free of the mesh...it is spring loaded and will spin around like a dervish.

Jon

V. Milev

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just acquired myself with an Zenit B. I found out that my shutter curtain doesn't close at speeds higher than 1/30. Please email me if you have any idea how to fix this problem.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration