Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing Moisture from Lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Removing Moisture from Lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joey Schmitt

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Tokina 28mm lens with moisture inside. I have taken the lens apart as far as I can, but I cannot get to the moisture. It is in between the glass at the very front of the lens. As far as I can tell, that is a supposedly air-tight area and cannot be opened up. I am hoping to find out one of two things:
1) Is there a way to remove moisture from this area of a lens? I have tried placing packs of silica around the area, but so far that has not had significant results.
OR
2) Is there a way to open up that area of the lens in order to dry it out?
Thanks.

David Ritchie

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have no experience with this problem, but if it is truly moisture, common sense would say that if moisture can get in, it can also get out. Therefore, if the lens were to be placed inside an airtight container with a dessicant for a period of time, the moisture may be drawn out. It would be an easy thing to try, but I would not expect reults overnight.

Ed

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 06:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might try puttin it under a lamp to warm it--may take a day or so, put often it does work.

Mark

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ed makes sense. Dry heat should do the trick. I like to keep a small sack of chalk anywhere where I DON'T want moisture. Once you've resolved this problem, you might want to add those to your bag or storage area. Cabelas also sells small canisters, boxes, and large canisters (like a small coffee can) of a silica type substance. It is easily reactivated in the oven at 325 degrees. Works pretty well for closets, safes, etc. The smaller one would go great in a camera bag.

Now for my question. Big time newbie here. I bought a Minolta X-7A at a yard sale with 2 Kalimar lenses, flash, etc. for $20. I have 2 problems. The Kalimar Auto Zoom 80-200 lense now has a bug in it! It was not there when I bought it and I kept the covers on. How can I dissabmle this lense to get him out?

As far as pictures, some of them are cut in half...exactly. One side has the shot the other is all black. The picture is divided pefectly in half. Sometimes the subject was moved to the left of the picture, when I know I had it centered. The negatives show the same.

I do not have a lot in the camera and it really just wet my apetite. I've since bought several X-370 lots on ebay and am waiting to experiment with them. I would really like to save this lense though.

Joey Schmitt

Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your recommendations. It appears that the moisture is just about gone now.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration