Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon SP - - stuck lens. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Nikon SP - - stuck lens. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently inherited a Nikon SP. It appears to be in very good condition, but has one serious (fatal?) flaw. It has a wide angle lens attached to it, and I cannot remove the lens from the body. It seems to be stuck. I followed the instruction manual to the letter. The lens is stuck on the "infinity" setting. The focus wheel also seems to be stuck, I don't know if that is related, or a seperate problem. The camera has probably been sitting unused for quite some time.
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Bill

Ezio

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 02:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are even vaguely aware of what a good condition Nikon SP (with ORIGINAL MANUAL!!!) is worth, you should think twice before trying to do anything to it unless you are perfectly clear about what you are doing - in which case, however, you would probably not be asking for help. This is most probably but a problem of lubricants that god solid, and all the camera needs is a good CLA by a serious technician. If I were you Í would try to pour some lighter fluid around the lens breech mount and/or perhaps gently heating the camera (for instance under a strong light bulb), and if this doesn't work look for a reputable repair lab.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill,

You might know this, but only 50mm lenses are focused via the focusing wheel and removed by pushing the small tab by the RF window. All other lenses have their own focusing mount and are removed by pressing the locking tab on the lens. When other than 50mm lenses are mounted, the focusing wheel is locked, since you are focusing using the lens' focusing helicoid.

Jan

James Jones

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, that's a fine camera you inherited. See here:

http://www.cameraquest.com/nikonsp.htm

Marco Vera

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well the good news is you have a $1,200+ camera....the bad is that is sounds like the rotating lens mount is stuck solid.

What you have is an externally mounted wide that couples with your internal lens mount and the focusing wheel...It's apparently stuck solid.

Don't force it! Find a good vintage nikon repair man..the camera is worth way too much to suggest any repairs...

Bill

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for the advice. I've located a repair shop to do the work. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration