Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Miranda TM - shutter stuck open Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Miranda TM - shutter stuck open « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lars Brubæk

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been given a very nice looking, but inoperable, Miranda TM.
Relying on the experts on this forum to help me out once more, I hereby shall endeavour to describe the problems with the camera: Mirror is in up position; I can rotate it down against spring pressure until it locks in down position. Mirror frame is slightly skewed, may be forcibly bent. Mirror actuating lever inside mirror box moves with mirror, and seems to be undamaged. Aperture actuating plate moves backwards as mirror moves down. With mirror in down position, aperture actuating plate can be operated normally via plunger on front panel. To release mirror to snap up again, I either have to apply moderate upwards pressure to front of mirror frame, or operate close-down plunger through one or more cycles. Shutter is stuck open; shutter speed dial can be set to all speeds, depending on film speed selected though. Wind on lever turns freely against slight spring resistance for about 180 deg., and further on for about 15 deg. over a marked detent to a resting (not locked) position. Operating wind lever does not rotate take-up spool or film transport. Take up spool can be rotated by finger both ways against reasonable amount of friction. Film transport sprockets turn freely both ways, film rewind button is in “in” position. There are no ugly sounds accompanying any of these operations.
Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? Hints and pitfalls regarding opening the camera?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Doug Renton-Cooper

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 07:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter and film wind has stuck in the film Rewind mode. The normal thing is to operate the lever wind and everything should get back into sync. Failing this a small drop of Oil (Sewing machine oil) should be placed onto the rewind button, and left for a few hours, with the body upside down. Then applying digital (finger) manipulation press and release the rewind button. This may take a few minutes or perhaps an hour. The button should pop back to the normal operating position and then all will get back into sync. If this does not work then the body must be dismantled to get at the seized part.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration