Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XG-M Capacitors Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minolta XG-M Capacitors « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kent Carter

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 07:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all!
I was given a Minolta XG-M which shows the classic symptoms of having failed capacitors, just like the X-700s and X-370s. With new batteries, the TTL meter flashes and when the shutter is depressed, the mirror hangs up and the shutter curtains will not complete their cycle. I would like to fix it myself and learn something in the process. Does anyone know if the XG-M uses the same capacitors as the X-700? If so, I will order a repair kit on eBay and try it myself.

Thank you,
Kent

Michael Linn

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, the capacitors are the same. But if your release capacitor was bad, the camera would not release the shutter at all. There is most likely a mechanical problem somewhere in the shutter mechanism preventing the second curtain from completing its travel.

Kent Carter

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Michael, this makes sense, because I can complete the cycle by gently pushing the curtain to the left. When I do this, the mirror returns to the rest position. What doesn't make sense, however, is that the TTL shutter speed ALWAYS indicates that the shutter speed is too slow (the upper arrow is always lit). It doesn't matter what aperture I select for the lens or how intense the light is, the upper arrow is lit.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
Kent

Michael Linn

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 05:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kent-

Sounds as if you may have two unrelated problems. The constant "over" indication could have several causes, all electronic. Does this occur on both auto and manual? Does the "M" led come on in the finder when you select manual speeds? The shutter problem could be caused by film chips in the curtain mechanism, old lubrication, detached ribbons on the second curtain take-up, etc.

Garrys Camera Repair

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The capacitors are totally different from those of X-700 and X-370. Unlike X-700 and X-370, XG-M uses three different types of caps. However, the cause of the problem you’re describing is not capacitors, but rather release magnet or even advance mechanism. Should you have any question please visit our web site at www.garryscamera.com

Garry
www.garryscamera.com
[email protected]

Hal Hagan

Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 07:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an XG-M as well, similar problem, and it remains after replacing the capacitors - shutter fires on faster speeds (125th and above) but very irregularly on slower speeds, more often than not just lifting the mirror and remaining wide open. I force it to complete the cycle by pressing the battery test button which somehow seems to drive the rear curtain to close.
Any thoughts? Is it a goner?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration