Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE1P Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canon AE1P « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harold Matolka

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently picked up a mint AE1P on Ebay, but it has the common shutter squeak. I know there have been many posts on how to eliminate the squeak but I have a question. One post in the archives said that it can be lubricated through the mirror box with a squirt of silicone spray. The slot located on the right hand side of the mirror box will allow you to put some spray on the mirror gear train. Is this recommended? Or does the top have to be removed first?

Will

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Harold,

I'm not familiar with the method you describe, but these squeaks are easy to fix via removal of the top cover. I then use a WD-40 straw with a slight bend in it at the tip to zero in on the exact spot. I drip a drop of oil into the straw and then blow into it. And the squeak is gone. Also I should add that by the time these cameras are squeaking, they are in need of a good general lube as required. They will wind silky smooth after this. (it's amazing the difference how they feel after)

Here's a link to a site that shows the overall squeak fix.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-157.html

hope this helps,
Will

harold matolka

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Will. I have that same diagram, but I'm a little hesitant about removing the top cover on the AE1P. While I've been able to repair several cameras and lenses in the past, I wouldn't consider myself a camera repairman. However, if you would say it's pretty straight forward, I might attempt it. It's strange, I've had an AE1 for 20 years [still in mint condition], which never has acquired the squeak. This AE1P is also mint, and I think it's worth getting the squeak out.

Will

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Harold,

I'm not an expert repairman, but I found disassembly of the AE-1P very easy. Even the c-clip around the rewind crank can be removed with a small screwdriver. Just take notes and if you have a digital camera take pics. I use this technique a lot and it sure helps.

They are indeed reliable, nice cameras, and worth the effort.

BTW.. if you do try this yourself, wind and fire the camera with the cover off a few times to make sure you got the squeak. You will have to mount the crank temporarily, and use a tooth pick or q-tip to activate the shutter release switch contacts.

Will

Harold Matolka

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, now you've got me fired up. If I can lock myself in my office, clear off a work place on my desk, spread our a towel to catch loose parts, I might just try it and save myself a few bucks. Thanks again Will.

Harold

Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 06:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While going through some web sites on AE1P cameras, one British site claims you can use a similar procedure by removing the bottom plate and then put a drop or two of oil [or preferably something similar but lighter] on the mirror gear mechanism. Has anyone tried this and do you think the gear can be reached through the bottom of the camera?

Janice

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter will not close on my Canon SLR camera. What might be wrong and what would be an approximate amount to repair it?
Janice

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration