Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Newbie! Lens has a bug in it! Pictu... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Newbie! Lens has a bug in it! Pictures are half black! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Big time newbie here. I bought a Minolta X-7A at a yard sale with 2 Kalimar lenses, flash, etc. for $20. I have 2 problems. The Kalimar Auto Zoom 80-200 lense now has a bug in it! It was not there when I bought it and I kept the covers on. It's not fungus, it's definately a bug. How can I dissabmle this lense to get him out?

As far as pictures, some of them are cut in half...exactly. One side has the color picture (or half of it) the other is all black. The picture is divided pefectly in half. Also, sometimes the subject was moved to the left of the picture, when I know I had it centered. The negatives show the same image to the left.

I do not have a lot in the camera and it really just wet my apetite. I've since bought several X-370 lots on ebay and am waiting to experiment with them. I would really like to save this lense though.

Glen Rhodes

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know about the bug in your lens but I'll bet the half black pictures were taken with a flash. Check your flash sync speed. It should be around 1/60th of a second. Anything faster will result in a black area in your picture, the faster the shutter speed the more black will show.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 08:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Mark.
Unfortunately, sometimes it is easier to take a zoom lens apart than it is to re-assemble it. Well actually, it isn't always that easy to get them apart, either. Since you have so little invested in this lens, I'd say two things: (1) you have little to lose, and this was not an expensive lens to begin with, so if you feel compelled to take it apart as a learning experiment, go ahead (2) if it is a small bug, you can wait for it to die, hoping it then drops to a point where it won't be a problem. Personally, I'd choose (2). I would not think this could be a very large bug, it won't have anything to eat in there, and it won't have a long lifespan as a result.
Good luck.
Jon

Brad Hogan

Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anybody know where I can get the rangefinder
re-silvered on a leica cl? They weren't able to do it at the leica shop in london, some parts were hard to get hold of. I would love some advice as I am desperate to use it!!!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration