Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35RD GN Flash Mechanism Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Olympus 35RD GN Flash Mechanism « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tim Blake

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an Olympus 35RD which appears to have a non-functioning GN flash mechanism. When I select the flash symbol and then check the aperture through the focussing range I can see that it doesn't change. The aperture is always the same.

Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to get at the linkage mechanism within the camera?

The rest of the camera functions are perfect.

Kiron Kid

Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was designed to adjust the aperture, in accordance with the focus point. What happens when you partially depress the shutter button, then adjust the focus? That is how it works on my OLY RC and Vivitar ES. The "flash-Matic" feature seems to be quite accurate.

Kiron Kid

Tim Blake

Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 04:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried partially depressing the shutter. It always closes down to what looks like F2.8, regardless of the distance setting on the lens.

I believe that there must be a linkage between the lens focussing mechanics and the aperture setting.

Can anyone advise if this is likely to be a 'simple' case of something becoming mechanically 'detached', or is it likely to be to do with wear of the focussing mechanism?

If I ensure the shutter is NOT cocked, and lay the camera on its back, then adjust the focus, I can see that the aperture blades do seem to open/close as expected. However this appears to be 'only just' if you see what I mean? It's as though the mechanism is just working when there is the least amount of resistance on it.

Simon

Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Its not an easy job to get to the mechanism in this model because the front element group is usally very difficult to remove. If you do get inside, I do have parts.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration