Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Adding strap lugs to a Leica II - whe... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Adding strap lugs to a Leica II - where to get them? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Linus Johansson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

I'm in the process of bringing my Leica II to life. Among all the other things I'm doing to it, is adding strap lugs to it, and the obvious question is -- where to get them? I've looked at the replacement lugs in the online Micro-Tools catalogue, but how are the fastened to the body shell? Is there a rivet not shown in the picture, or a screw?

What I would prefer is to get the lugs from a readily (flea markets, etc) available (preferably broken) donor body, since that would be on one hand simpler and quicker (cheaper, too!), and on the other hand I'm also looking for a half-silvered mirror to use in the rangefinder. Any suggestion?

I'm redressing it in leather (I had to remove the leatherette to remove the heavy dent the body shell HAD (well I really shouldn't brag about my repairs since I put the dent there in the first place... it would be a long story to tell, but YES, it would include references to alcohol.)), so there are no leatherette issues in adding lugs.

For a donor, would a Konica C35 be suitable? Any other suggestion for cameras to look for? The lugs does not have to be perfectly Leica-like in looks. This is a user camera.

Thanks in advance!

/Linus

Ed

Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there's a Leica repair man in Wisconsin--Don Golberg--you can find him on the net.

Peter Wallage

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There used to be quite a few cheaper makes back in the 60s and 70s on which the strap lugs doubled as screws to hold the top plate on. Balda was one. Perhaps other members can think of others.

I used the lugs from a broken Balda SuperMatic to fit on a Zorki 4. There was enough metal there to drill and tap, but I'm not sure about the Leica body shell, it's a long time since I had the chassis out of mine.

Peter

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration