Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Loose rubber focussing grip on lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Loose rubber focussing grip on lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Kelly

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone got any ideas on replacing/resticking a loose and worn rubber grip on a focussing/aperture ring on a lens

Will

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John,

I recently replaced a loose (stretched) rubber grip on a 28mm lens with suede leather. I used 3M contact cement. Worked well. I put the seam towards the bottom when the lens was focused at infinity. I also did a Vivitar 200mm many years ago that had a taper to the barrel. So I used small pie shaped wedges of leather for this. That worked great and has an added "cool" factor to it. It's held up for 25+ years!

Will

Jon Goodman

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, John.
I'd suggest using self-adhesive 1/16" 100% pure neoprene sponge foam. It is tough, resistant to environmental pollutants, UV and it is soft and pleasant to the touch. The black color will look good with your lens, even if it is silver. For $6, I can send you a kit containing enough to fix the lens and re-seal the camera to which it attaches. You can even have some clean fun re-sealing it! To see, please go to E-Bay and search using the "by seller" option. Enter my ID...Interslice...and there you go. Good luck,
Jon

Peter Stind Rosendahl

Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the same problem with the rubber on a Yashica 50mm SLR lens - it has grown - how can I make it crimp again? I tried to boil it - with no effect - want the lens to stay original. On some cameras it will be possible to place a thin piece of rubber or neoprene foam under the original piece of rubber without making it noticeable!

Michael Linn

Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Remove the rubber and clean it with a toothbrush and warm soapy water. Clean the place where it was on the lens with alcohol. Cut the removed rubber with a pair of sharp scissors or an X-acto knife with a straightedge. Place the rubber back on the lens and note the overlap. Cut off the overlap with whatever tool you used to make the original cut, so that you have a tight fit and a good joint. Run a thin band of contact cement around the lens, except where you want the joint to be (bottom of lens at infinity position recommended) and put a little more glue in the joint area. Reapply the rubber.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration