Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta xg-m shutter/film advance pro... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minolta xg-m shutter/film advance problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't depress the shutter button and the film won't advance. If I apply pressure to the advance lever it starts to turn but it takes a considerable amount of pressure and I don't want to break it.

James Jones

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't force the advance lever! Turn on the meter, look through the finder and gently touch the shutter button. Do the meter LED's light up? Now push the shutter button down. Do the LED's go out and stay out until the meter is turned off and back on? If so, you have a bad shutter capacitor. It's probably the one under the bottom plate. Typically it's a 150uf 4volt tantalum, but anything up to a 220uf tantalum or electrolytic will work fine.

Henry

Posted on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the mirror down? If it isn't, open the back and gently push the fabric curtain to the left...toward the rewind knob.

If is down, the release sequence may be jammed before the mirror is tripped. Remove the bottom cover and reset the camera.

Jason

Posted on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which one turns on the meter? I've hit every button several times and no lights at all.

James Jones

Posted on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Place your finger on the front of the camera shutter speed knob. Move the slider from OFF to ON.

Now, check the batteries. Press the little square button between the shutter speed knob and the wind lever. Does the red light on the front of the camera come on? If so, check those LED's in the finder. If not, get new batteries.

jim hamer

Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 07:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the film in my minolta xg-m won't advance when the camera is set on automatic, but when set on 1000 or lower its ok.

Casey Willis

Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 04:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently acquired a used xg-m. While checking it out I noticed that when the shutter is tripped, both cloth parts are released at the same time and head to the left (looking from the back side of the camera). When the shutter seam is about 2/3 through its path, the right hand cloth shield (the one that should not move until the left had shield travels the entire way) finally hangs and then shuts. This is very evident in the "B" setting as the right hand part of the shutter will stay hung at 2/3 as long as you depress the button. I know very little about the inner workings of cameras. Can anybody steer me in the right direction?

Henry

Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 08:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like the second curtain may not be latching completely. Under the bottom cover there is a blue gear. It may have jumped a tooth.

But then again, it might be the release magnet not holding. Either cause can make it do what you describe.

Henry

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration