Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME Super Faulty Mode Selector Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Pentax ME Super Faulty Mode Selector « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Mode Selector on my Pentax ME Super appears to be faulty. It started to become difficult to turn. To get around that problem I would loosen the screw holding it; turn it to the mode I wanted; and tighten the screw. As time went on it became more and more difficult to turn. However, the loosening and tightening of the screw workaround continued to do the trick. So I put up with the hassle.

Unfortunately, the problem appears to have progressed to a new level. No matter which mode I select the Pentax appears to be placed in Bulb Mode. I figured that I had misaligned the Mode Selector. So I would remove it and reinstall it. That usually fixes the problem for a little while.

Is there something I can do to fix the difficulty of turning the Mode Selector?

Am I right, that when the Pentax is in Bulb Mode when I selected another mode its most likely a result of what I've done to the Mode Selector to temporarily fix the difficult to turn Mode Selector? If not, what else might be causing this and what can I do to fix it?

Henry

Posted on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All the mode selector dial does is control the position of the white plastic lever that regulates the release of the second curtain.

First thing you should do is remove the top cover and completely disassemble the mode dial. Cleaning and reassembly may solve your problem. If not, request a donor part in the swap meet forum.

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a very tiny spring and plunger mechanism under the mode control dial that provides the click stop action. This may have become jammed or bent. Remove the two screws that hold on the dial and look for these parts. If they are damaged or missing, you can secure replacements from a junker ME or ME Super.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration