Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Electro 35 GT problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica Electro 35 GT problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Donnie Strickland

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My recently acquired Electro 35 works very well except for one problem: when setting the control ring for "flash", the shutter stays open too long -- say, about 1/2 second instead of 1/30th. If I don't push the shutter button down VERY firmly the shutter will remain open as if on "bulb". If I use the self-timer the flash setting works properly. Auto and Bulb settings work perfectly. I have searched the archives and tried spraying a little contact cleaner on the slide contacts with the bottom plate removed, but it didn't seem to help.
I should also mention that when a cable release is screwed into the shutter button it will not trip the shutter -- no way, no how, not on any setting. Any ideas?

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The problem with the flash setting might also be related to dirty contacts under the mode selector ring. This camera has a lot of slide contacts, and they all have to be clean. The mode selector ring is not difficult to remove, but don't loose those tiny steel balls providing the click stops.

Concerning the cable release problems, there are several screws for adjusting the shutter release mechanism. You can try to adjust the one just below the shutter button after removing the top cover.

Donnie Strickland

Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 09:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Winfried, I removed the mode selector ring (thanks for the warning about the tiny steel ball!) and the gold-plated contacts looked brand new but I gave them a dose of contact cleaner while I was there. I also removed the top cap and cleaned the contacts up there as well. I tried adjusting the top screw on the shutter linkage but that seemed to have no discernable effect on the operation when set to Flash. Very aggravating! Any ideas, or should I send it out? The camera works perfectly otherwise. I wouldn't mind except I intend to give the camera as a gift and the flash really needs to work. Thanks for the help!

Winfried

Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am afraid I can't help you any further from the distance. The flash setting usually sets the shutter to 1/30. It uses the same circuitry as the lightmeter but the CdS cell is switched over to a fixed resistor so that the shutter speed remains constant. If you can figure out where this resistor is located (I did not need to up to now) you can check it, maybe it has increased its value significantly.

There is an UK guy, Roger Provins, who provides a detailed description of the Electro35 circuitry on his page - Google will find it.

Winfried

Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just read that you cleaned the contacts 'up there' under the top cover. There are more slide contacts hidden by the front assembly. If you peek into the camera (with the bottom plate removed, of course) from below you can see some of them in the area below the shutter release. Sometimes cleaning them with contact cleaner helps.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration