Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet Q17 Lens/Shutter Assembly (no... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canonet Q17 Lens/Shutter Assembly (not GIII) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gary Turner in Bozeman, Montana

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the older & larger pre GIII Q17 rangefinder camera (Made in Japan) which was disassembled for aperture & shutter cleaning. Turns out the Copal SV shutter's timer delay was jammed (and still is).

I have a few questions:

(1) Can the timer mechanism be removed entirely to allow the shutter to otherwise function? If yes then how?

(2) My other major challenge is how to get the lens/shutter assembly reinstalled into the camera body so its 2 'loose fitting' brass actuating levers/arms will align into their proper camera body slots? I can get the shutter cocking lever/arm to align but I can't seem to get what I think is the aperture arm to align. There must be a way?

(3) Another mystery is: where to place the floating washer that's located between the brass shutter cocking and aperture arms? Its slotted to apparently fit around a pin in the shutter (?) but what pin?

(4) Last but not least there is yet one other protruding actuating arm on the shutter mechanism, fortunately that one is stationary (fixed)....as such, it does not seem to be part of the problem (?) unless it may have been bent slightly (?).

I tried to be observant during the disassembly process but obviously, that was not good enough.

I searched the Internet and found some nice sites describing the Copal SV shutter in detail but none show one for this particular Canonet with all the alignment arms relative to the body. The available diagrams for the popular GIII Q17 are not helpful either since that more compact model is much different.

This Canonet is not too easy to work on but it's a lot easier in most respects than the newer GIII.

Any and all help is much appreciated! Thank you.

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't help much here, but in most conventional leaf shutters the self timer can be removed. It consists of a clockwork escapement gearset that looks much like the one that governs the slow shutter speeds, and usually it's just held in with a couple of screws.

(make sure you remove the right one though :)=

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, you can remove the self-timer and the shutter will continue to operate normally. However, before removing the timer, try putting a drop of lighter fluid on each gear bearing and the pallet and see if it will start to unwind.

On some of the copal shutters, you will find a snap ring on top of the post the timer sits on. You will also see a flat-sided screw at the escapement end that turns half way so that the timer unit can be lifted out. Also, it helps to slightly cock the timer lever so that the unit clears the lip on the lens opening.

One problem I have seen several times is a bent stud on the drive ring that blocks the shutter as the timer runs down. The shutter gets stuck open due to grease/oil on the blades and for some reason people will try to cock the self-timer in that state. This will bend or break that stud on the drive ring rendering the shutter useless. You usually have to repalce the blade drive ring in that case. So, don't try to force the timer lever under any circumstance.

Gary Turner

Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the replies. I managed to remove the timer delay and found a buckled/mangled thin washer just above a brass gear. The timer cocks, runs down, then hangs up on the bent washer. Not sure what my next step will be on the timer but my main problem remains fitting the shutter/lens assembly levers etc. back into their proper camera body slots. Despite Timosy's repair book #2 illustration I have had no success (yet).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration